Sundal Recipe The commonly made sundal is channa sundal (with chik peas). The other sundal varieties are channa dal sundal, green gram sundal, green peas sundal, peanut(groundnut) sundal and kidney beans sundal. This can be had as a snack, salad or as a sidedish with rice
Chick Peas (or any other beans) – 1 cup
Onion (sliced lengthwise) – 1/4 (optional ingredient)
Coconut (fresh grated) – 2 tblsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilly – 2
Curry Leaves – 1 string
Asafetida – a pinch
Oil – 1 tblsp
1. Soak the chick peas over night, wash it and pressure cook with enough water.
2. Once the pressure is released, drain the water and keep aside.
(Alternatively you can use canned chikpeas and skip the above steps. Use one whole can at a time. Discard the water in the can and wash the chikpeas before using.)
3. Heat the oil in a flat pan and fry the mustard seeds, asafetida, dry red chilly and curry leaves.
4. (optional) Saute the onions until it turns golden brown.
5. Now add the cooked peas and required salt and fry for a minute.
6. Add the fresh grated coconut, toss everything together and remove from heat.
This sundal is typically served as a snack in Tamil Nadu. It is also made during many festivals.
This can be had as a salad for people on diet.
This also tastes good as a sidedish with rice and some curry