Paneer (cubed) – 2 cups (homemade/store bought fresh/fried)
Cashew/ Almond – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (finely copped)
Ginger garlic green chilly paste – 2 tblsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Pepper powder (preferably white pepper) – 2 tsp (or to taste)
Black Cumin seeds (Shahi Jeera) – 1 tsp
Yogurt – 1 cup
Milk- 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Sugar – a pinch
Oil – 2 tblsp
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Soak the almonds/cashews in milk for 10-15 min and grind it in a blender to form a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds and fry the onions until they start to sweat.
3. Add ginger-garlic-green chilly paste and cook till the raw smell vanishes.
4. Add the yogurt along with cumin powder, corriander powder and garam masala to this and cook for a minute.
5. Next add the cashew and milk paste. Add water as needed and bring it to a boil. (Add more water than needed as the gravy thickens considerably.)
6. Add salt, sugar and pepper powder to the gravy and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes for the cashew/almond to be cooked nicely.
7. Add the paneer cubes to the gravy and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh cilantro or with tosted cashews/almonds and serve with pulav/naan.
Chicken/ Fish can be used instead of paneer for the non veg version of the gravy.
You can also use tomatoes and chilly powder instead of yogurt and pepper. The colour of the gravy will change to orange red in that case.