Kalakand is one of the most popular & traditional dessert made in India during different festivals & celebrations such as Holi, Diwali, Navratri, Eid. It is also known as Malai burfi, Milk cake, Kalakand burfi.
2 liters milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp citric acid
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pistachio, almonds)
1 sheet of edible silver foil
1.Dissolve citric acid in water. Boil 1 liter of milk in a pan.
2. Add citric acid solution to milk as it comes to boil.
3. Once chenna (cottage cheese) settles, sieve through muslin cloth, press out excess
water, take in a plate & press down.
4. Now put the remaining milk to boil. Add cheena & boil till it turns thick.
5. Add sugar, cook till mixture turns lumpy, add cardamom powder, chopped nuts.
6. Spread it over a greased plate, allow to cool, apply silver foil, garnish with chopped nuts.
7. Once set, cut it into square or desired pieces & serve fresh.