Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 10 mins Makes: 30 heaped tsps.
4 cups grated fresh Coconut
20gms or 5 Green Chillies
30gms or half a cup Roasted Bengal Gram
1 cup plain Yogurt
For the tadka:
2tbsp Coconut Oil
10gms Mustard seeds
1 tsp Curry leaves ( fresh if possible)
2 to 3 dried Red Chillies
1 tsp Red Chilly powder (optional)
Salt to taste
1. Grate the coconut and make it as fine as you can.
2. Either get roasted Bengal Gram from the market or roast it lightly at home.
3. Drop the chillies in the grinder.
4. In a grinder first put the coconut and the chilies and start grinding.
5. I suggest don’t put all at one time. Do it in portions.
6. Now add the Bengal gram and keep grinding. At this point the chutney will seem very dry.
7. Add the yogurt and grind more, add the salt.
8. For the tadka, In a wok heat the coconut oil. Drop the dried red chilies in it.
9. After a few seconds add curry leaves to the oil, and lower the heat.
10. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
11. Pour this tadka over the chutney and mix well.